Saturday, March 12, 2011

Flowers & Farmburgers

Beautiful Morning!
A much welcomed Saturday after such a long week. Today was our day to attend the Atlanta Orchid Society show and sale, an annual event that I never miss. First stop, an early lunch at my favorite place for burgers, FARMBURGER in Decatur. They have the best burgers, aside from actually tasting one of their burgers, the website says it all:


I enjoyed my burger with house-made pickles, beets and pork-belly that was crisp and moist at the same time YUM!
homemade twinkie, better than the original
After lunch , we swung by Dekalb Farmers Market, a place not for the faint of heart on Saturdays. I picked up a few remaining ingredients I needed for the week to come and we survived the food mob. With shopping packed away in the trunk, we were off to The Atlanta Botanical Garden in perfect weather! I made a beeline for the orchid show to see if there were any green & white ladyslipper orchids left for me to take home and was pleasantly surprised to find my favorite orchid dealers had saved me a couple. The orchid sale and show was delightful as usual. Some of favorites today:
Pahiopedilum with multiple blooms
A rather extravagant composition using many ladyslipper orchids, this was the 1st prize in it's category
For more photos of the show: Orchid Show at the ABG, facebook album
The Tulips at the garden were also coming into bloom
I am off course partial to the white ones
Edgeworthia (paper bush) was in full bloom and the smell was intoxicating
espalier pear at the edible garden
Phaleanopsis Stuartiana
My new additions to the collection from the sale
We encountered some heavy traffic and road construction on the way back so a stop at the STARBUCKS was most welcomed. We enjoyed our yummy drinks which came with free mini desserts. I also picked up some interesting perennial groundcovers at the Home Depot on the way home.
new plants: Rock Cress and Snow on the mountain
The weather was still lovely when we got back and enjoyed listening to the birds at sunset. The plants are starting to put out lots of fresh growth. Spring is almost officially here!
It got dark soon. I taught a quick piano lesson and re-potted my new orchids afterward
My slowly maturing Pahiopedilum I got at the show a year ago, still in continuos bloom since I got it

No comments:

Post a Comment