Monday, February 21, 2011

"Empty Bowls" Fundraiser is upon us!

I had the luxury of a "slow morning" today. I had planned to sleep in but it was almost impossible with two rambuctious cats running around. Filbert and Socrates were definitly up and ready for the final day of The Great Backyard Bird Count.

After quick breakfast while counting birds, it was time to get on with the day.

With a variety of gardening tasks I intend to get accomplished this week and a full week of piano lessons and Willy Wonka rehearsals, I decided today to get a head start on my small contribution to the Empty Bowls fundraiser for the Carrollton Soup Kitchen. This is the annual fundraiser for our local soup kitchen. I will be preparing a soup to add to the menu for the day. I spent some time reviewing my favorite soup recipes and I think I have narrowed it down to Miso, Thai coconut or Congee. I will decide on Thursday when I see whats available at the Oriental Marketplace .
My bowl collection by local artist Robert Roller, the 2 darker green ones I picked up at Empty Bolws last year
The main fund raising activity at Empty Bowls is what I'll call "Soup and Bowl". Attendees make a minimum of $10 suggested donation and in return get a soup of your choice from the menu of delicious soups donated my local chefs and restaurants, and a handmade bowl of your choice. The handmade bowls are donated by local potters and also come from community bowl making workshops that are held throughout the year. A truly wonderful(and delicious ) event.    More information about Empty Bowls
With my list of soups to make narrowed, I proceeded to my contribution to the silent auction portion of Empty Bowls, what I would call my "Live orchid art piece". As I gathered my materials, I realized I was short on reindeer moss so I trip to the garden center ensued. This included a quick stop to The Haystack consignment store to see if any of my stuff had been sold. I collected my few dollars but also came home with my "deal of the day", a sterling silver butter knife with beautiful botanical motifs for the great sum of $2 and change, what a find!(Thank you Jean for spotting it)
diamond in the rough
stunning after a quick polish
With my supply of preserved reindeer moss in hand, I was ready to proceed with my orchid artpiece.
Start with a beautiful fresh orchid off course, add some moss, twigs and raffia..
All ready for the silent auction
Yellow Dogwood and Pussy willow from the backyard
With the orchid dressed up with "minimal" effort, I headed out into the garden to survey the situation.  I did a little pruning and also added a few yellow twigged Dogwood to the front porch decorations. After that, I addressed the issue of the very long wire vine's vines. I had to give them a quick trim.
These plants have been growing nicely indoors since I brought them home around Christmas last year
2 peas in a pod
It was quite a productive day in the garden and next, a quick nap before a full run though Willy Wonka rehearsal this evening

No comments:

Post a Comment