Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thai Spice Thursday

I would love to have such doors at home
I am making the most of my slightly less hectic month of February since it will be March madness for sure. Willy Wonka the musical will be opening, I will be doing an all week catering and add to that accompanying for a couple of literary competitions, and playing at 3 concerts. With no appointments scheduled all day today till Willy Wonka rehearsal at 6:30pm, I made plans for an excursion to Peachtree City and Newnan with Jane. I also needed a few ingredients for my Miso soup for Empty Bowls on Sunday. I figured I could pick those up at Oriental Marketplace in Newnan on the way to Peachtree City. Oriental Markeplace is my new favorite place to get all manner of Asian groceries and also a quick bite to eat. They serve really delicious Bahn Mi and many delicious flavors of Bubble Tea and best of all, it is less than 30 miles from our house.

"macaroons",my latest addition
Our first stop today, Target and TJmaxx in Newnan to see what kinds of deals could be found. Jane and I were about to walk out of TJMaxx empty handed when I spotted a Macaron book!!, another one for my collection.

At Oriental marketplace , I enjoyed a Vietnamese iced coffee with bubbles added while shopping. I drank it so fast, I forgot to take a picture of it. I found all my Miso soup ingredients, a few treats and stocked up on some noodles and seasonings.
Fresh Shitakes, plump and fragrant!
Miso!!
These are freshly made and oh so delicious, a super deal at 3 for $2.50
crunchy, not too sweet, light and airy
With my "chore" done, it was on to the highlight of our trip, Williams-Sonoma and lunch at Thai Spice. Not much was on sale at Williams Sonoma but I did score some yummy snacks for 75% off and picked up a new tea to try. I have read a lot about this certain tea and decided to see what the fuss was all about. Stay tuned for future blog post about it.

The tin is pretty, let's hope the TEA taste good too
Shopping done, it was lunchtime! Thai Spice in Peachtree City is one of the few restaurants I have eaten at that is consistently good. I have never been disappointed.

Spring Rolls and Basil Rolls
coconut soup
Not only does Thai Spice have delicious food and wonderful service, the atmosphere is lovely too. It is an airy space, not overly decorated and the lighting is just right.
very comfy booths and the carving is a lot larger in real life, probably about 8 feet tall
my "art" camera bag looks right at home at Thai Spice
Pad Woon Sen

Pad Thai
Sticky Rice with Mango
We both had enough leftovers for supper tonight and also took additional orders of Massaman and Pad Woon Sen home and it all cost less than a meal for one at Woodfire Grill, what a super deal!
Spring greenery I could not live without from Pike's today
 
At Pike's garden center after lunch, I tried my best to resist plants and items that were not on my shopping list. I picked up indoor plants I came for and some seeds for Spring and early Summer planting. I had to remind myself that there was still a threat of frost for another month or two and hoped my Spring Fever antibodies were working hard.
I will try to get these planted before this weekend is over
Dallas fern and Golden Spike Moss
Dallas fern is one of the ferns recommended by Southern Living for hardiness indoors so we shall see. I like how the fronds are rather small and it forms a compact mound.

2 comments:

  1. I recognize that bag :D Why can't I ever find a macaron book at TJ Maxx?? Next one you find is mine :D heeeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. After we found the one book, we "dug around" looking for more, none! but I will keep a lookout

    ReplyDelete