Monday, February 14, 2011

Lovely Monday


The day started out with the frantic preparation of Valentine's Day gifts, frantic because I woke up late and was expecting company for TEA in less than 3 hours
Macarons: red bean, raspberry, mango, strawberry-lemon curd
I used my new stamp set for the first time, Red birds on brown stickers from PaperSource

Lindt chocolates in colors corresponding to the macarons
Domestic bliss
With the treats done, I quickly tidied up around the house and got cracking on experimental savory scones
I omitted the sugar and added capers and grated white cheddar to the SAVOY Hotel recipe
The evening before, I embarked on a red velvet marathon baking session which resulted in a "bumper crop" of red velvet cupcakes and a layer cakes
Red velvet batter on the way

3 lbs cream cheese, 1/2 pound butter and 2 lbs powdered sugar: A LOT OF FROSTING




Red velvet cupcakes, perfect party favors
Since it was Valentine's day and the weather was springlike, I opted to use the
 apple blossom patterned Bavarian dishes inherited from Raleigh's grandmother Olive Batten
"Apple Blossom" by Tirchenreuth, Bavaria

La Perruche rough cut sugar cubes
 And tea must also include homemade macarons off course, and we had raspberry, strawberry and mango
The scones turned out really well, can't wait to make them again
I love the moment hot water is first poured on loose tea leaves, the aroma is wonderful as the leaves begin to unfurl
I paired the  "Apple Blossom" with brown Toile napkins from Pottery Barn, Johnson Brothers "Greendawn" plates

And our centerpiece of Valentine's tea, red velvet cake!

I was very pleased with how the red velvet cake turned out, it had a good chocolate flavor perfectly balanced with just the right amount of tartness in the cream cheese frosting, not bad for a 1st attempt. And it was perfect with a cup of Assam blend tea

A perfect ending to a lovely afternoon tea!

I opened the windows after tea and the cats formed a heart... 
Happy Valentine's Day!
They were looking out at the visiting cat out on the deck

No comments:

Post a Comment