Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Banana French toast

The plan for today was to get some cleaning done around the house before the onset of piano students and Willy Wonka rehearsal later in the day. I especially wanted to accomplish some dusting and also organizing of cachepots and other orchid dressing related supplies(moss, raffia, twigs) in anticipation of Thursday's visit to the orchid farm. 

To energize myself for the workday ahead, I decided a slightly more decadent than usual breakfast was in order. I looked around to see what needed to be used up and found we had over-ripe bananas and also remembered a loaf of stale brioche stashed away in the fridge in the event of a French toast craving.

So with those ingredients on hand, I made banana stuffed French toast!
The best French toast starts with stale brioche. Paired with some over-ripe banana, it makes wonderful French toast. I try to keep matching bread slices together. First step is to top every other slice of bread with banana. I use about half a banana on each slice. After that, you basically make a banana sandwich.
Next comes the custard for dipping the bread. I use one egg and 1/4 cup half and half for every 2 slices of bread, I had 8 slices bread today, making 4 sandwiches so I used 4 eggs & 1 cup half and half. I added to that 2 tablespoons of sugar and a pinch of salt. Preheat the skillet till warm and then add a a couple of dabs of butter
carefully dip the "sandwiches" into the egg custard , turning once. The bread only needs to soak for about 5 seconds on each side and they go right into the pan
Fry till golden and set. When the toast is done, drizzle with a little honey
Breakfast is incomplete without a cup of hot tea or coffee.  This morning's beverage of choice was London Cuppa tea (Racquel, this one is for you)
Since these tea leaves are finely ground, I like to put then in "fill your own" tea bags before putting them in the pot. "Fill your own" tea bags I usually find at the Super H mart. I prefer the ones that completely seal with a quick fold . These do not have half the bag hanging out looking like you have your socks in the teapot. London Cuppa tea is also available already bagged in tagless teabags but I found the loose variety on special at TJmaxx
Breakfast is served!
After this most delicious breakfast, it was on to vacuuming, dusting and hanging pictures. Also organized some of the orchid supplies.... did I mention, I get to go to the orchid farm on Thursday!
Socrates presides over the cleaning of his domain

Clean and sparkly!

I got the house vacuumed and dusted, some organizing done and a picture hung. Piano lessons went well today and I had a good time at Willy Wonka rehearsal. I 'd like to think it had something to do with starting the day with a delicious breakfast.
New art by Seth Fitts is finally on the Wall




2 comments:

  1. I am seriously obsessed with this recipe! I cant wait to try it out! Where do you find the bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread came from Dekalb farmers market but "Challah" or "buttercrust white" from publix is just as good

    ReplyDelete