Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day & Week

Triple stem Paphiopedilum
It's been a busy week here at "the cottage". I have been busy working in the garden and also baking macarons for the EARTH day celebration on Saturday at the Tallapoosa Center.

One of the things I do not neglect is a good breakfast before gardening. I normally have a big pot of tea but once in a while, make a French press of coffee for variety.
Ethiopian Nekemete
Freshly ground beans are a must
Water just off the boil
 
 
Pahiopedilum bud about to open
It looks like another good growing season for the garden since we did not get a late freeze. All the plants have come out of dormancy nicely. It's so nice to have lots of green back in the garden.
Blueberries looking promising
Hobbits Foot Sage continues to intrigue me
The backyard all leafed out and after the first mowing of the year
Clematis Henryii
"White Dawn" rose in bud, climbing Hydrangeas and Northern Sea Oats
Close up of climbing Hydrangea
First sighting of the resident bunnies in the backyard this year. They don't seem to eat too much and are rather cute hopping about in the mornings and evenings
Filbert: "Bunnies? did someone say bunnies? look how powerful my paw looks, good for catching bunnies"
It's a good thing for the bunnies that Filbert is an indoor cat.
 
I also got my summer annual seeds planted. This year, I am sticking with the flowers that have done well for me in the past years: Green and White Zinnias, Nasturtiums, Cosmos and also some "White Eyed Susan" vine. I tend to loose seedlings to wildlife in the garden so I always start them in pots and keep them in the greenhouse till they are a few inches tall before transplanting them out into the raised beds.
 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment