Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spontaneous Spring Break, Day ONE

All my piano students are off on Spring Break this week, I have no evening rehearsals and Jean also having her Spring break means it is "VACATION" at home and in the city . We had planned a trip to AW pottery and also Pike's to get some "goodies" together for Bev's birthday but the plans unraveled at the last minute. The weather was to be lovely so we went ahead into the city anyway, surely we would find something fun to do.

First thing we did, brunch. We headed into Candler Park where Elizabeth works

"crossed eyed cat"
This mirror is almost full
 
Good coffee.. also I was wondering the likelihood of me making it to Choir practice on time...
sweet potato pancakes
Omelettes and homemade biscuits, delicious!
   
 After brunch and a lovely visit with Elizabeth, Troy, Jean & I explored the neighborhood a little
I loved this place, they had homemade cupcakes and a teapot collection and tons of books to read. Unfortunately, we were totally full already. Making a note to come back another day.....
 
With no real plan of where we were going next, we headed North into the city. I thought it might be fun to hunt for the doubled handle tea strainer I've been dreaming off so we decided to go antique hunting. We tried to stop in at "Paris on Ponce" but they are closed on Wednesdays. We were disappointed but there was a pretty Cherry tree out back and what a beautiful day it was.
We decided to try our luck at a couple of other places and had a lovely time browsing through "Antiques & Beyond"  and another antique shop across the street on Cheshire Bridge Road, the name escapes me...but  needless to say we lost track of time and before you know it, rush hour was moments away! I decided that it was not a good idea to fight the traffic but instead wait out the traffic with more eating and shopping!. Luckily, Carol & Anna were able to fill in for me at choir so I owe them both a big thank you!

Amazingly, we still had not managed to buy anything, which was good thing I guess but we were suddenly inspired and remembered the "Berverly Bremer" silver shop.. watch out trouble ahead, a shop that sells nothing but silver. The staff was a delight at the shop and we had fun handling all the wonderful merchandise while being peppered with all sorts of history and information on the pieces we were looking at. And best of all, they had a plethora of tea strainers to choose from and one exactly like what I was looking for!
 
Looking at flatware and tea sets for over and hour sure made me hungry so it was suppertime! We decided to eat nearby and visit LENOX mall since we were in the neighborhood. On the way, we made a little detour to Pollen, a lovely little place full of the most beautiful flowers and plants you've ever seen tucked into a little bungalow. I always leave the place inspired!

Tree with white flowers outside Pollen
For supper, we headed to Hashiguchi, a real Japanese restaurant conveniently located by Lenox Mall.

Spinach Ohitashi
Ebi(shrimp) tempura
Katsu Don and some griled salmon


With our bellies full and thirst quenched, we headed to the MALL! We got a good "cardio" walk in while browsing all over the mall. It was a most wonderful day and I wondered what was installed for our 2nd day in the city tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment