Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday Spring Impromptu Dinner

Asparagus with large Haas avocado for scale
I picked up locally grown GIANT asparagus at the Star Provisions farm stand on Saturday because it was just too good looking. I was not sure exactly what I was going to do with it but I knew it would be delicious. Since we had no plans Sunday evening, I decided I would have an asparagus inspired Spring dinner! I dreamed up an easy to prepare menu that I could manage in a couple of hours since that's all the time I had after church and a catering appointment on Sunday.

For dessert, I decided to make mango pavlova. I quick dessert since the only involved part is baking the meringue shell. After the shells are done, all you do is add whipped cream and fruit.
egg whites and granulated sugar is whipped together till stiff
Powdered sugar is folded in at the end
For a fancier presentation, I like to pipe the meringues with a star tip
always leave plenty of room around the shells for air circulation
I set the table while the meringues were baking. My small green moth orchids made the perfect centerpiece for our Spring dinner.
 
With the table all ready to go, it was time to get all the food ready, guest were expected in less than 2 hours! The meringue shells turned out nicely, with just enough color on them to add a hint of caramelized flavor.
I decided the best way to savor the asparagus was with a pureed pea and asparagus soup garnished with perfectly roasted asparagus spears and white violas from the garden.
The tender tips are trimmed and reserved for garnish
The stems are chopped up for the soup
Saute onions and celery with olive oil, and then add asparagus and peas and chicken broth.
 
simmer till tender and then puree till smooth, taste of Spring!
For the main course, simply roasted Tilapia accompanied with quinoa and carrot souflee ala Blackberry Farm.
A good book for wonderful vegetable recipes
 
found a new brand of carrots to try

 
 

quinoa after a 20 minute soaking
Ready for guest!
Tried a new "iced" tea with dinner. Very light and refreshing
 
I cheated for the appetizers....
easy tilapia: rub with olive oil, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan and bake
soup is served!
Rolls and Wheat Italian bread from Publix
Perfect 1st course for Spring: pea & asparagus soup garnished with roasted asparagus and viola blossom
Maldon salt crystals for sprinkling
Tilapia, Carrot souflee & Quinoa with dill, parsley, lemon and avocados
fresh mangoes are sliced while coffee is brewing
Hapipinezz is yummy mango puree!
     
whipped cream
a little marblelization is fun
Mango Pavlova!
perfect end to a lovely dinner!
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment