Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tiramisu Tuesday & Monday Meyer Lemon Curd

I whipped up a recipe of my express version of Tiramisu for an event Tuesday. A traditional Tiramisu involves a Zabliogne, or Italian egg custard cream but my quickly put together version skips that.  It works really well if you are in a hurry.
The ingredients are similar to traditional Tiramisu, minus the eggs. Instead of espresso , I brew a really strong pot of French Press coffee for the soaking syrup.
The Coffee is sweetened with a little sugar and usually some form of liquor such as Kahlua, Frangelico, Amaretto or Marsala. I was going for a version suitable for kids so I used Almond and Chocolate extracts.
Mascarpone is whipped with malted milk powder
Cream is whipped with powdered sugar
Whip till just set
 
Mascarpone mixture is folded into the whipped cream
Have Ladyfinger cookies ready to go
First layer, the mascarpone cream
 
Then a "fence" of cookies and layers of soaked cookies and cream
Dusting of cocoa between each layer adds flavor
  
Top layer should be mascarpone cream and cocoa
if you have any extra, make them into individual servings for a quick treat later.
Late last night, I also made a batch of Meyer lemon curd. It is a good recipe to make with all the egg yolks leftover from macaron making.
 
 
 
 

The lemon curd turned out well and will be perfect for filling little tartlets.
Yummy treat, Tiramisu and cold green tea





2 comments:

  1. Your rendition of Tiramisu is awfully tempting--it is one of my favorite treats! Because I am hopeless in the kitchen, I buy Tiramisu from Publix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the "cheating" version. I've made another version, the more authentic one with a zabaglione(Italian Custard) that is "out of this world good you'll never want to eat Publix tiramisu ever again" good. I haven't made it in a while and now am reminded I must do it soon!

    ReplyDelete