Monday, February 28, 2011

Eggs, Quince & Thunderstorms


Today turned out to be a slow Monday, surely a temporary calm before the storm of a busy week to come. The weather forecast was for an afternoon of thunderstorms so I was debating whether or not to start on any major gardening projects. I decided to think it over while having breakfast and see what the weather would do.

I picked up an order of fresh farm eggs from the Garry's this weekend
lovely colors!
For breakfast, we had our usual: soft boiled eggs, toast with butter & jam accompanied with a hot cup of tea.
I like my boiled eggs "over easy" in the shell, simmered gently for 2 minutes is just about right
breakfast is served!
speckles!
Totally satisfied after breakfast, I went out to the garden to survey the "situation". There was lots to do off course and the storms seemed to be holding back. I embarked on a privet and wild blackberry removing spree. This was followed by a pruning session. I cut back the Annabelle Hydrangeas,  Asters , Artemesia and a host of other perennials. There were also countless weeds to pull. After going at it for over 4 hours, I decided it was time to stop when the storm warning sirens began to sound.
all cleaned up
Tete a Tete & Ice follies Daffodils
Helleborus, getting better by the day
Nivalis Quince
Nivalis Quince
At it's peak in the garden today was my white quince. The entire clump was bursting with buds and beginning to open. I decided to prune it a little and bring a few flowering branches indoors to enjoy. Pruning encourages more branching, which will result in more flowers next year.
glass frog, perfect for anchoring branches
English glass flower frog
dramatic and beautiful
I re-staked the orchids, something simpler to compliment the White Quince branches
 

We had quite the downpour in the late afternoon. I was glad the garden got a good soaking. Spring is almost here to stay!




No comments:

Post a Comment