Friday, April 15, 2011

Tacos and Tanks!

Double-File Viburnums and Variegated Solomon's Seal
I enjoyed a lovely morning entertaining visitors to the garden this morning, traded plants for pistachios and then headed out on a potting soil and taco lunch mission. On the way to lunch, we took a few detours and I ended up picking up a galvanized tank to house my "Sum & Substance" Hostas I got earlier in the week on the front porch. Lunch at La Vaquerita was delicious as usual.
$1.50 tacos: chicken and rice with mole, carnitas and pastor
delicious and fresh guacamole
house made horchata, a drink made with rice
On the way to lunch, I got acquainted with my new favorite plant, the "Cherokee" rose. 
A beautiful wild looking white native rose, the Cherokee rose, looking forward to adding some to my garden
After lunch, 2 hours of "tooling"around town resulted in lots accomplished. I stocked up on macaron ingredients, got 12 cubic feet of my favorite potting soil (3B Mix), a few additional plants to go with the hostas, some herb plants and a new pair of garden gloves. I got to planting immediately after getting home, hoping to get it all done before the storms arrived. 
Kitties like to watch me garden
My least favorite task was removing the not so attractive sticker on the galvanized tank!! It was ridiculous how much "goo gone" I had to use to get every last bit off. The tank company needs to rethink their ugly stickers. I was barely done cleaning the tank before the sky got darker and wind picked up. The storm was definitely rolling in as I could smell the moisture in the air. I was halfway done when the storm arrived, heralded by the city sirens. I continued to work on the porch as it thundered and poured and got all the planting done. I hosed off the mess on the front porch, including a weeks worth of pollen build up and inspected the flow on all the gutters while it rained and actually cleared one of them, a satisfying task for sure since I now know the gutters are flowing properly.
I planted the tank with "Sum and Substance hosta, "Citron" Heuchera(a couple of the plants I kept partially as houseplants in winter), double and white elfin Impatiens, a new Coleus called "alligator tears" and duck foot ivy(I thought very appropriate since we live on Mallard Ln.). The planting was actually a breeze, the big mess was filling the tank. I started with a layer of gravel for drainage and then a layer of potting soil and old root balls from last years dead annuals and then a layer of 3B mix potting soil. After getting showered and cleaned up from the storm, I tackled the task of supporting the Paphiopedilums. These hybrids with giant blooms need a little support.
 
 
After a quick supper of leftover "Mei Fun" , I sat down to a comforting cup of tea and flower cookies from Oriental Marketplace while listening to the pouring rain outside. I am glad the garden is getting a drink and hope the storms do not do too much damage, especially on all the wonderful local farms who will be open for tours tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment